Harvest Monday 5/14/12

Lots going in, less coming out.  Have finally faced the harsh reality, no more lettuce.  With the hot weather all of the leafy greens have bolted.  It was tasty while it lasted, but the heat lovers must go in!  I figue I still have 2-3 weeks to get the last of the seeds and starters in the ground before the real heat may start.  I usually try to get everything in by June 1st.  Here's a short list of what I harvested out of the garden this week:  Lettuce, beets, chives, chard, strawberries, avocado, basil, lemons (see picture below),



Maggie having a tough day.
This is looking down at the rest of the back yard.  Due to the fact that we live in a very dry and hot area, I try to put in a lot of natives and drought tolerant plants.  Pictured are sages, wildflowers, olive tree, and whatever else can survive with
minimal water and lots of sun.


Pumpkins have started.
A few apricots on the new tree, now if I can get them off before the squirrels do.

Lots of little guys on all of the citrus trees.  Looks like it's going to be a good year.  This year I'm going to make sure that I thin them early.

Mother's Day flowers.

4 comments:

  1. Yum. Lemonade from lemons you grew. How neat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely grab those apricots before the squirrels do! What a treat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah most of my lettuce is shot too. I'm really going to miss my daily salad! Chard and amaranth don't have quite the same taste! Having a bit of a lull here too, lots going in and not too much coming out. Part of that is that I didn't get a lot planted last fall and haven't figured out a good succession schedule yet, but I'm working on it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful Mother's Day flowers. Did they come from your garden?

    Getting the goodies before the critters do is such a challenge!

    ReplyDelete